New curriculum for October 2019.
Terms and price of the training:
End-of-term program development
67 000 rub per term/215 000 rub per year, including Master’s degree
Training start: October 1, 2019
Application deadline: May 1st to September 30th, 2019
An educational program, allowing to:
- Obtain a diploma of advanced training in “Lacanian psychoanalysis” during a semester;
- Obtain both an advanced training diploma and a higher education diploma during Master’s degree program (choosing Lacanian psychoanalysis as a main area of studies).
A term is a basic module of the program. Each new term is a new stage in program development, but also an opportunity to join it.
Each term’s program consists of several term-long original author’s courses, seminars and clinical reviews.
Each lecture course is built around a separate topic; seminars are based on students’ expectations and questions, their own interest and knowledge level.
The main areas of the seminars:
- Reading and joint discussion of the texts mentioned in the lecture courses.
- Work on student’s own research. Each of these studies is carried out on a student-chosen topic under the guidance of one of the teachers, accompanied by presentations and discussions at the seminar. A written work should be the result of this research.
The program relies on the teacher’s interest in issues of psychoanalysis that important for him and which he reveals in his lectures, and on the desire of students themselves to conduct research and work in the field of psychoanalysis, and to discuss their work during the seminars.
The program includes learning French in groups by level.
An important part of the program are the lessons of invited Lacanian psychoanalysis specialists from France (Rene 2 Institute).
Laboratory teachers are guided by WAP — World Association of Psychoanalysis.
The curriculum is designed in collaboration with the University of Rennes-2, where studies in line with Lacanian psychoanalysis are conducted.
A modular-based education, that is, a constant change of the author’s courses and their relative autonomy, allows students to join the program during a convenient term or return to it after the break.
- In case of end-of-term training (without Master’s program), the graduate receives a standard-issue advanced training certificate
- In case of going through the Master’s program (two-year training), the graduate receives a diploma of higher education of a state form awarding a Master’s degree; a standard-issue advanced training certificate.
1st term (October — January 2019-2020)
1)A psychoanalytic perspective on sexual identity issues.
Starting with discoveries of Freud, the Oedipus complex and the rock of castration, one of the main issues of psychoanalysis is the issue of the difference and relationships between sexes. We will examine the development of Freud’s theory of sexuality, developing from the symmetry of the Oedipus complex for both sexes to the discovery of “primacy of phallus”, in relation to which the subject is defined as a man or a woman in matters of sexual relations. This Freud’s thesis about the “primacy of phallus” is the starting point of Lacanian theory of sexuality. In his thesis, Lacan emphasizes the need to consider language in order to seriously examine the problems of sexual differences for a human being. Developing and subsequently going beyond Freud’s ideas, Lacan will point out decisive significance of phallus as a function. Sexual identification will depend on the method of accepting this function. One sex or the other? According to Lacan, there is male and another gender, for which the phallic standard is not fully valid. On this Other Side, you can see a variety of options of sexual identity, some of which, in the form of clinical cases, will also be considered in our joint work. Course presenter: Inga Metreveli
2) Object in psychoanalysis: the psychosis issue.
One of the fundamental hypotheses of Freudian psychoanalysis is the hypothesis of attraction. This hypothesis raises a question about the object of attraction. From this exact question and from the reflections on Freud’s concept of castration Lacan draws his object “a”, simultaneously engaging in a polemical dialogue with other psychoanalytic theories of objects: with Melanie Klein’s theory of bad and good, internal and external objects and Donald Winnicott’s theory of the transitional object. Lacan insists that it is impossible to talk about the object in psychoanalysis, not speaking at the same time about the function of the signifier and the language. Thanks to this, Lacan’s theory allows, among other things, to map specific functions of an object in psychosis, both in its destabilizations and in what are called “inventions” and in which the psychotic subject can find a certain cure.
Course presenter: Gleb Napreenko
- A unique training program in Lacanian psychoanalysis, the only one in Russia.
- The teachers are leading experts in Lacanian psychoanalysis.
- Modular curriculum principle.
- A chance to visit the Institute’s events and lectures of the Master’s program
- Learning French throughout the program.
- Conducting own research under the supervision of the program’s teachers.
- Collaboration with the French University of Rennes-2